There has been quite the uproar and outrage this past week over the newest radical abortion law passed by New York State. The country seems to be awakened and appalled by the atrocity of abortion, and I’m so glad they are. But is it enough to be angry that liberal NY rejoices in the ability to kill children up until the day they are born? Especially when thousands of innocent babies are slaughtered across this country daily, while many are silent and accept it as the norm. In fact, NY is not the only state which legalizes abortion into the third trimester, 19 other states permit late-term abortions to preserve the life or health of the mother (AZ, CA, CT, DE, HI, IL, ME, MD, MA, MN, MT, NV, NC, PA, UT, VA, WA, WI, WY), 20 states permit late-term abortions to preserve the life or physical health (AL, AR, FL, GA, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MS, MO, NE, ND, OH, OK, SC, SD, TN, TX, WV), and 4 states (ID, MI, NY-until last week, RI) permit late-term abortion only to save the life of the mother. In some of these states, there is also a rape or incest clause, or fetal anomaly clause allowing late-term abortion in these situations as well (2019)¹. So as you see, in many states, not just NY, it is legal to kill a child up until birth.
And so again I ask the question, is it enough to feel uproar and outrage? Is it enough to just change your profile picture on Facebook to say “I am Pro-life” or to write a scathing post to let everyone know how angry you are and where you stand? Is it enough to vote pro-life, and make sure your favorite “pro-life” politician makes it back into office for another term? If you are a Christian, then I’m here to tell you, IT’S ABSOLUTELY NOT ENOUGH. Spiritual battles are not won behind the screen of a computer, by keyboard warriors. They are won when the church of Jesus Christ is ready to put on the full armor of God and affect real change by battling the principalities and demons that are running rampant in our culture.
“Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.” Ephesians 6:13-18
However, many Christians are scared to death to do just that. Sadly in many ways, our modern church has not raised an army of Christians prepared to do spiritual battle we have raised comfortable Christians who love their own lives more than laying their lives down for the Gospel. But maybe it’s not as scary as you think it might be. Here is a quick list I came up with, practical steps to help affect real change and end abortion in your backyard.
1. Love one another, more than yourself. Sounds simple right, but in our selfish worlds we have created it’s not so easy. Loving one another means sacrifice, and that can be painful. It may mean finding a single pregnant mother who feels abortion is her only option and inviting her into your family, mentoring her, bringing her into your church, helping provide for her needs, finding her a safe place to live and a stable job, encouraging her to follow Jesus in every area of her life, teaching her to love and care for her child. You can go to the Love Life mentor program to find out more and get involved.
“My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.” 1 John 3:18
2. Stand for life at your local abortion clinic. Again, sounds simple, but this is so scary to most Christians. Yes, there are people who don’t want you there, and yes you’ll probably be yelled at a time or two. But…..time after time, 501 times just last year actually, moms choose life because of gentle Christians calling out to them with messages of “God loves you and has a plan for this baby.” Or, “Mom we will help you and walk beside you.” Or a sign that is being held, or a song playing over the speaker, or someone praying for them. It is one of the most effective tools to change hearts and minds. If you would like to come and see what it’s like, we would love to have you shadow one of our teams, sign up here.
“Open your mouth for the speechless, in the cause of all who are appointed to die. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.” Proverbs 31:8-9
3. Pray and fast with LoveLife Charlotte. The Bible is clear about the power of prayer and fasting, and we are honored to partner with LoveLife Charlotte to battle the principalities of the air through prayer and fasting. They have those who have adopted a week on the 40-week journey to fast and pray on Wednesdays individually and corporately on Saturdays in front of the abortion clinics. The atmosphere shifts in an unexplained way when the people of God gather together and pray as a unified body against the monstrosity of abortion. It’s a powerful experience you don’t want to miss, and a great first step to getting involved. Follow this link for more information.
“Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.” Matthew 18:19
4. Provide for the front line warriors and moms who choose life. There are several ways to provide for those who are in daily battle on the front lines to end abortion. You can give monetarily, to support funding the ministry of Cities4Life to allow us to continue to be a presence in front of the 3 abortion clinics in Charlotte 6 days a week, train new volunteers, and purchase materials needed to hand out to moms and dads headed in to have abortions. You can assist with providing materials to keep our baby shower ministry going. We provide practical help to moms who choose life providing lavish showers with everything they’ll need for 2 years for their baby. Gently used baby items and money to purchase items needed are always appreciated.
5. Learn what you can do in your area. If you are not from our area, find out who the boots on the ground warriors are in your area. I’m sure there is a remnant of gentle Christians doing the same type of thing in your area. Volunteer to pray in front of the clinic, hold a sign, pass out literature, or volunteer at your local pregnancy resource center. And if you can find no one ministering at your local clinic, talk to your church about getting a group together and GO!
Hopefully, this inspires you. I pray this will spur you to action, get you uncomfortable, and help you use the outrage you felt when you saw the governor of New York smile and laugh while he signed the bill legalizing the killing of children up until birth, for a righteous cause. The culture will not change while the church sits in its pews. The church must get up and make change happen.
If God is for us, who can be against us?